Monday, July 13, 2009

Public Radio - Part 5, Speaking of Faith

I know that I've mentioned the show "Speaking of Faith" a few times, but it's my own form of evangelizing to spread the news about such an intelligent discussion about faith and modern life. It dawned on me that I have never mentioned the host's book, which is also titled "Speaking of Faith." So any of my readers who don't want to or don't have the capability of listening to podcasts can pick up the book at the library and get at least a sampling of the show and its broad range of topics

A few weeks ago, the host Krista Tippett was discussing the Sunni-Shia divide within Islam. The guest made a comment about Islam being a religion where orthopraxy was more important than orthodoxy. He was arguing that how your religion influences your daily life is superior to any proper recitation of faith.

It reminds me of practicing the organ or piano. It doesn't matter how much music theory I know or how well I can explain the structure of a Bach fugue. At some point, I must sit down and play it over and over, working out fingering in difficult sections, until the practice results in preparation. Some pieces that I first studied years ago are still "in my fingers." Good music is a virtue, and to paraphrase Aristotle, virtue is created and reinforced through daily practice.

In the end, our journey through the Creed only matters if it changes our lives outside the church building. We've all heard it sung that "They'll know we're Christians by our love." And they'll know that by our practicing of what we preach.

No comments:

Post a Comment