Saturday, November 6, 2010

Burning the candle at four ends

If anybody sees the second half of October lying around, be sure to let me know.  I think I misplaced it!

The fall season has been flying by, and while I've stayed on top of planning for Christmas and managed to prepare music for every service, the blog fell by the wayside for a bit.  I hope you missed it - maybe even enough to help out with content and comments sometime.

My blog post today refers to something I used to say when I was an undergrad.  My grandma would warn me against buring the candle at both ends, and I would reply that I had cut the candle in half so that I could burn it at four ends.  Of course, that was right before I was diagnosed with mono...but that's another story.

This is a busy time of year for everyone.  We've celebrated Halloween and Reformation.  We try to savor the nice days by getting outside - though too often lately it's to rake leaves or prepare for winter.  We're planning ahead for the holidays and trying to finish up school projects before the deadlines loom too close.  But rather than abandon the quiet moments of reflection (like blogging), it's important to reclaim that time for ourselves.  The burning of a candle is not the raging inferno of a wildfire; it connotes calmness and quiet.  For me, that means finding more time to listen to and create music and church music and sharing thoughts on both.  What will you do to help find calm this season?

2 comments:

  1. Actually, I find raking and other yard work calming on a nice fall day. I don't rush, just kind of keep moving slowly and it gets done. Because I also deer hunt by just sitting in a stand and waiting, that is also about as calm as it gets!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to find that calm. Like you said, October went by and I missed it totally - and we had such beautiful weather. I do hope that by Christmas things will settle down so that I can fully contemplate the essence of the celebration i.e. the birth of a Savior who changed the world. And I missed your blogs! They are my few moments of calm!

    ReplyDelete